Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Piano


You wouldn't know it to hear me play now but I took piano lessons for about 8 years growing up (thanks mom!). I gave it up when I was 16 to pursue other interests...boys! However, I have missed playing at times.


Now I have 2 little girls that love to sing and dance. I knew that they would love the piano too! Sandy, sister #2, is a music teacher. She told me years ago that she would start lessons with the girls when they were 6...well guess who is turning 6 on Thursday?! Did she think I'd forget?

In the middle of a kitchen re-do, there is not $$ for a piano...or is there? I started looking on Craigslist just out of curiousity. The first day I looked, I found this beauty! I could see it was special despite the clutter the previous owner had on it.



The price? Are you sitting down? FREE! Oh, yeah!

The hubby and some strong friends went and picked it up. I think I was more excited than the girls! L went straight to it. There was no banging, just a curious girl making beautiful music. Well, not beautiful exactly...at least it wasn't banging! :)

It needs some work and has to be tuned but well worth the price!


Beautiful inside too!

It's hard to see here, but someone etched 1923 on it. It makes you wonder about its past and excited for its furture.

Lessons start next week...for me too! I can't wait!

6 comments:

  1. I wanted to thank you for your kind comments. And girl, what a great find! That piano is wonderful! We've got one in our garage and I'm considering painting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! I can't believe you got that piano for free! girl, you are lucky! I just love that shade of paint you chose...I almost chose a shade just like that for my living room, (it was even called butter) it was by Martha Stewart though. Where does one find Restoration Hardware paint? ...now I want to go re-paint my living room haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came over from the Nester's because no one should only have friends who read their blog with no comments. :) My friends don't leave comments, either - it's a bummer!
    Welcome to the blog world...it's a fun, surreal place, isn't it? :)
    Love your piano....YEA!! We got ours for free as well, and it's been a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good going Jen. Yeah I get addicted to Craigslist from time to time and the first place I go is of course the FREE Stuff. You can really find some gems as you did. Have fun and I hope you all enjoy that special time together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A FREE piano from the 1920s??? Wow girl you got lucky! And I can't wait to hear (hehe) how the first lesson goes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome and it is beautiful. When we were growing up my mom bought me one that was like that and mahagony (sp?) and someone painted over it about 5 coats with a cream paint. We couldn't recover it it's so sad now that I think about it. Oh and I liked it too until boys... We have one that the boys and friends love to bang on!

    Congrats on your awesome find! :)
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think...